From the AHOPE website:
"This year we are expected to surpass 20,000,000 AIDS orphans worldwide of which well over 2,000,000 are HIV positive themselves. Fewer than one in ten AIDS orphans are receiving any external support. For many children, the loss of parents brings destitution, an end to schooling and stigmatization by family and neighbors. Even when a child loses only one parent to HIV/AIDS the high incidence of HIV infection within marriage means that many children soon lose both parents, and often become the responsibility of the extended family. Child-headed households, once a rarity, are now increasingly common in sub-Sahara Africa."
Most of these AIDS orphans live in sub-Saharan Africa. As a mother of a daughter from Ethiopia these children are very close to my heart. And if you are adopting from Ethiopia this crisis should hit close to home too, whether your child is one of these orphans or not. Want to do something to help?
- Text "ahope" to 85944 to make a $10 donation to AHOPE today. Or text HIV (space) and amount you want to donate to 27138. You can also sponsor a child through them. AHOPE for Children is a non-profit organization whose mission is to serve the children of Ethiopia, with a primary emphasis on caring for orphans infected with HIV.
- Support From HIV to Home an organization that helps care for HIV+ children and connects HIV+ children with adoptive families.
- Support Project Hopeful and their mission of encouraging, educating, and enabling families adopting children with HIV/AIDS
- Educate yourself and spread awareness
- Consider adopting a child. Not a solution to the crisis, but it makes a world of difference to that child.